Thursday, June 5, 2008

My Jesus

I was leaving my friend a wall posting on facebook the other day when her about me said to check out a song called "My Jesus". Since I love music I figured I would. I looked at the lyrics and fell in love with the song without even listening to it.

Which Jesus do you follow?
Which Jesus do you serve?
If Ephesians says to imitate Christ
Then why do you look so much like the world?

Cause my Jesus bled and died
He spent His time with thieves and liars
He loved the poor and accosted the arrogant
So which one do you want to be?

Blessed are the poor in spirit
Or do we pray to be blessed with the wealth of this land
Blessed are they that hunger and thirst for righteousness
Or do we ache for another taste of this world of shifting sand

Cause my Jesus bled and died for my sins
He spent His time with thieves and sluts and liars
He loved the poor and accosted the rich
So which one do you want to be?

Who is this that you follow
This picture of the American dream
If Jesus was here would you walk right by on the other side
or fall down and worship at His holy feet

Pretty blue eyes and curly brown hair and a clear complexion
Is how you see Him as He dies for Your sins
But the Word says He was battered and scarred
Or did you miss that part
Sometimes I doubt we'd recognize Him

Cause my Jesus bled and died
He spent His time with thieves and the least of these
He loved the poor and accosted the comfortable
So which one do you want to be?

Cause my Jesus would never be accepted in my church
The blood and dirt on His feet would stain the carpet
But He reaches for the hurting and despised the proud
I think He'd prefer Beale St. to the stained glass crowd
And I know that He can hear me if I cry out loud

I want to be like my Jesus!
I want to be like my Jesus!


Not a posterchild for American prosperity, but like my Jesus
You see I'm tired of living for success and popularity
I want to be like my Jesus but I'm not sure what that means to be like You Jesus
Cause You said to live like You, love like You but then You died for me
Can I be like You Jesus?
I want to be like my Jesus



I want to be like my Jesus instead of looking like everyone else in the world today. Majority of us seem like mirror images of everyone around us. We act a certain way around some people, but when are with people of our past it's so easy to get sucked into their lifestyle. I had this conversation with one of my friends last night. I was with some friends in one om friends hometown and we met some of their friends from High School. The friends from High School were not Christians and it amazed me how fast their mode of conversation could change. My friend who is a strong Christian went to perverted mode real fast, gave into their jokes and crude humor and never thought twice about it. I asked one of my other friends if they noticed and they said yes and I asked...Why are we doing anything about it then? How is sinking down to their level bettering the kingdom of God? How is that being Jesus?

Within the past couple of days I have been spending time with people who I knew but never knew real well, and I have enjoyed every minute I have been with them. I spent last night sharing stories of the past with a girl who knows exactly where I come from because she's been there too. I've spoken to people from back home who I swore (not literally) I would never talk to again. Why? Because I want to be Jesus. I've taken on this whole care free no worries lifestyle and the past few days have been the best I've felt in a while. Let me re-think that. Since the beginning of 2008 life has never been better, I've really felt myself thirsting for God and drawing near to His word. I've found myself meeting new people and starting friendships that I'm so glad to have. I've found myself breaking down barriors and breaking down walls that I never thought would budge. I've found myself loving, everyone around me. But the past few days have just been a sense of peace and calmness. I know God has it under control.

I kind of got of subject with the song, but I'm hoping that this care free - worry free lifestyle is one step closer to being like Jesus. It's hard to be like the coolest man who ever walked the planet. I know I will never perfect it, but with each new day I can try. I love all who near me (and those who aren't), I can forgive those who have hurt me, I can take the time out of my day when someone needs me, I can learn to be a bit more flexible with my schedule (I'm a very planned out girl), I can learn to talk to everyone I pass by (I do if I make eye contact), I can learn to put myself and my feelings on the line. I want to be like my Jesus. I have the most amazing friends and family to keep me guided on that path.

No comments: