Monday, June 23, 2008

Inside the walk of two college girls.................

So today I have been thinking a lot about relationships. I'm not desperate for one....not actively looking for one (if one happens then it happens but it's not my goal for each day). I've been thinking a lot about what a genuine relationship should be like? The Bible calls men to be the spiritual leader of a relationship and to love his wife (in this case a girlfriend) like Christ loved the church and that means serving them. I wondered what it would be like to really have a relationship like that.

I went walking with my friend Roxanne this evening and without even talking to her about all of this before she brought up relationships and the exact thing I have been thinking about all day. I don't know how many of you have read the Twilight series, I have not but Roxanne has and we talked about the relationship Edward has with the girl in the story (I didn't catch her name). The relationship is so selfless. He doesn't want her to change and when he sees her starting to change he brings it to her attention. He wants her exactly the way she is. She is nervous about leaving her world to become a vampire, and Edward doesn't pressure her to do whatever he wants, he lets her be her own person and make her own decisions. They don't expect anything from each other except being there for one another. It's selfless and they are both not selfish.

Roxanne and I talked for almost 1.5 hours about this and about how reading a story like this leaves us thriving for a guy like that. I want a guy who will be my spiritual leader from day one and not just for a little while. A guy who will want me for me and if he sees me start changing he won't let me, he will be happy with the person I am. Someone who let's be make my own decision and advises me on the way and supports me with my dreams and hopes. A guy who is selfless and not selfish, who knows it takes a lot of work to make a relationship work and who will work to make it last. A guy who even if we live states a part will be genuine and sincere. A guy who is sensitive to our feelings and can handle our temper because he knows he's the only one who can calm it as well. A guy who will challenge me in my faith, make me deepen my beliefs, and will be interested in what God is doing in my life. Someone who will also be my friend and not forget about dating me and won't think too much about the future too fast. We talked about how we don't have to date someone from where we are, because distance makes the heart grow fonder and working for it would be all worth it.

We talked about how we are excited to meet the one we are suppose to marry and but learning to be patient. We aren't in any hurry we just want a guy who is genuine and sincere about being the guy God calls them to be and will fight to keep what they have.




Today I saw God in Roxanne. When we were out talking I just someone who had as much hope as I do. Hope for a future that is God centered and won't settle for anything less. It was so good to have her tonight.

No comments: