Thursday, June 12, 2008

A difference.....

I got in to my tangent again tonight with the difference between a "Christian" and a Christ-Follower. For those of you who have heard this tangent, you can by-pass this blog or you can read it if you choose to. My grandfather and I had this conversation, and well I'm not sure if he got all I was saying or not, but he at least listened.

I think the word Christian is a good verb, but a terrible adjective. I don't tell people I'm a Christian, in face I'm almost ashamed when people call me one. In Christian Formation class last semester my prof asked "If you were to stop someone on the street and asked them how they would describe a Christian what would they say?" Everyone gave the typical Sunday School answers: caring, loving, helpful, compassionate. They there was me, the girl who can't keep her mouth shut about anything. I said, "I believe if you asked about a Christian, they would say, hypocritical, judgmental, and greedy, those are just to name a few. However if you asked about a Christ-Follower then you might get compassionate, loving, and caring." If you think about it, it's true. Anyone and everyone claims to be a Christian, celebrities say that because it's what we want to hear, but their actions tell another story. When I think of a Christ-Follower I think of Mother Teresa and Gandhi, just the two most popular. I think of someone who did selfless acts for the love of others and the love of Christ. I see people who didn't stand in the limelight professing their faith, because their actions spoke louder than magazines headlines ever would. I don't find any part of being famous glamorous. They say they are doing a good thing by giving to charity, but the amount they give is nothing compared to what they could give. Look at the church today, and by that I mean look at the churches today. They are so set on who can do what part best, in stead of creating one church that works together to be the body of Christ. God didn't say Baptist give money, Nazarenes feed the hungry, Pentecostals cloth the naked, he called us all to be one body. One denomination shouldn't be one part of the body. The church should be THE body. We are so into fancy high dollar buildings, that we forget the purpose they serve. We are so worried about having an abundance of everything, that we forget about those who have nothing. I think if Jesus was to come back today, he would be ashamed with how his people are living in this world. Would we be able to recognize Jesus? Would we take the time to bow to Him? or would we pass by with the hustle and bustle of our day?

I want to live so that God can call me anywhere and at anytime. I want to be so trusting and so willing that if I got a cal at 2am needing me to be somewhere I would go, knowing that it was for the best. My eyes have been opened a lot these past few days, to a live I was getting on track with, but needed some more forward motion. I am signing at church in a couple weeks with a little girl from the church, and the song we are signing is a little kids praise song, but even at 20 years old it rings true to a life I want to live.

"I'm gonna live so God can use me
anywhere Lord, anytime
I'm gonna live so God can use me
anywhere Lord, anytime

I'm gonna work so God can use me
anywhere Lord, anytime
I'm gonna work so God can use me
anywhere Lord, anytime

I'm gonna pray so God can use me
anywhere Lord, anytime
I'm gonna pray so God can use me
anywhere Lord, anytime

I'm gonna sing so God can use me
anywhere Lord, anytime
I'm gonna sing so God can use me
anywhere Lord, anytime"



Anywhere Lord and anytime, I am yours. Use me where you see best fit.

No comments: