Monday, July 14, 2008

We once were the same...

Reaching Out
by: Brandon Heath

What if you and I went for a walk out in the rain
And you turned to me and you said you'd like to share
Just a little of your pain
Well my brother I thought you'd never say
I've been waiting forever for this day

What if you were to call me up and ask
For a minute of my time
And you cried and said you were different from the rest
Like it was some kind of crime
Well my sister I hoped that you might come
And I promise that you are not the only one

Look me in the eye and tell me honestly
What ever lies behind your broken heart
Is too complex for me
Come and talk to me if for only for a while
I am reaching for you

What if you were to tell me you were through
With the way that you live
Cause you take so much from an empty world outside
You've got nothing left to give
Well my brother I've felt the same way too
But someone changed me and He's got his eye on you

What if you remembered who you were
Before people broke you down
And you realized you were someones little girl
And he loves when you're around
We'll my sister, your dad has seen you hurt
And He's waiting for you with open arms

Nothing hurts Him more than seeing you in pain
Just to see you come so close to Him
And turn and walk away
Hide yourself in Him, He will make you brand new
He is reaching out for you
Your God is reaching out for you
He's reaching out for you





In church yesterday the man preaching talked about how we were once condemned, sinners, and unclean. We often times get the holier than though attitude when new people arrive at church and yet we wonder why no one comes back. It's because the church doesn't embrace them. We were once in their shoes. Strangers to the grace, love, and forgiveness that God has for us.

The church is in a rut. Let me re-phase that....the churches are in a rut. I think if Jesus was to come back today he would be very disappointed. He called for one church and one body, we don't have that. We have denominations who at times find it so hard to work with each other. We all worship the same man. Things won't change until one day a Methodist pastor could say, Why don't we try things a Baptist way. No denomination is better than the other. We look at our success based on the money and possessions we have, not the lives we touch and impact, not the lost souls that we bring to Christ.

I look at people from my past and I see countless possibilities, if they would only know what it's like to be free. I pray that my actions leave some kind of mark on them. I want to reach out to them. I want to embrace them. I was them once. How can the church grow if we only reach inside the church? We should be uncomfortable in our walk with Christ. It shouldn't be easy. It should be worth it. I don't like being dry and comfortable. I want to impact the world, one person at a time.

I'm reaching out to the hurt and those in pain. Why? Because I was them once. I want to reach out to the broken-hearted, the mentally and emotionally abused. Why? Because I was them once. I want to reach out to the lost. Why? Because I was them once.

God rescued me in one of my weakest moments, he brought me back from a hurting and troubling lifestyle. He reached out for me. I am the hands and the feet of God, I want to reach out.
" But if we are the Body
Why aren't His arms reaching
Why aren't His hands healing
Why aren't His words teaching
And if we are the Body
Why aren't His feet going
Why is His love not showing them there is a way
There is a way "


WHY? WHY? Why aren't our feet moving? Why aren't we showing them there is a better way out there? All they want is a new light and a new life. We have found that new light and new life. Why aren't we coming together to better the kingdom of God? Why not start today.

One random act of kindness can go a long way. Your smile (even on a bad day) could give someone hope. A simple hello could make someone feel like they have a purpose. Taking the time to talk to someone, could save them from making a big mistake. We can reach out.

No comments: