Tuesday, July 15, 2008

The best is yet to come.....

There was a young woman who had been diagnosed with a
terminal illness and had been given three months to live.
So as she was getting her things 'in order,' she
contacted her Pastor and had him come to her house to
discuss certain aspects of her final wishes.

She told him which songs she wanted sung at the service,
what scriptures she would like read, and what outfit she
wanted to be buried in.

Everything was in order and the Pastor was preparing to
leave when the young woman suddenly remembered something
very important to her.

'There's one more thing,' she said excitedly.


'What's that?' came the Pastor's reply.

'This is very important,' the young woman
continued. 'I want to be buried with a fork in my right
hand.'

The Pastor stood looking at the young woman, not knowing
quite what to say.

That surprises you, doesn't it?' the young woman
asked.

'Well, to be honest, I'm puzzled by the
request,' said the Pastor.

The young woman explained. 'My grandmother once told
me this story, and from that time on I have always tried to
pass along its message to those I love and those who are in
need of encouragement. In all my years of attending socials
and dinners, I always remember that when the dishes of the
main course were being cleared, someone would inevitably
lean over and say, 'Keep your fork.' It was my
favorite part because I knew that something better was
coming...like velvety chocolate cake or deep-dish apple
pie. Something wonderful, and with substance!'

So, I just want people to see me there in that casket
with a fork in my hand and I want them to wonder
'What's with the fork?' Then I want you to tell
them: 'Keep your fork ..the best is yet to come.'

The Pastor's eyes welled up with tears
of joy as he hugged the young woman good-bye. He knew
this would be one of the last times he would see her before
her death. But he also knew that the young woman had a
better grasp of heaven than he did. She had a better grasp
of what heaven would be like than many people twice her
age, with twice as much experience and knowledge. She KNEW
that something better was coming.

At the funeral people were walking by the young
woman's casket and they saw the cloak she was wearing
and the fork placed in her right hand. Over and over, the
Pastor heard the question, 'What's with the
fork?' And over and over he smiled.

During his message, the Pastor told the people of
the conversation he had with the young woman shortly
before she died. He also told them about the fork and about
what it symbolized to her. He told the people how he could
not stop thinking about the fork and told them that they
probably would not be able to stop thinking about it
either.

He was right. So the next time you reach down for your
fork let it remind you, ever so gently, that the best is
yet to come. Friends are a very rare jewel , indeed. They
make you smile and encourage you to succeed Cherish the
time you have, and the memories you share ... being friends
with someone is not an opportunity but a sweet
responsibility





I got this in an e-mail from my mother today and I just loved it. To think life really is going to get better than it is right now.

I was having a conversation with a friend last night and I don't really remember what sparked the conversation, but I made the statement "Maybe I'll just die young and not have to worry about it." (Now that I type it I think we were talking about children). When I read this I thought. What if I do die young? Will I be sad because I didn't get to experience a long life? Will I be upset because all my friends will be around for many more years? Will I be upset because I didn't know what kind of adventures tomorrow would bring?

No, I wouldn't be, because Heaven is yet to come. And let's face it, nothing could out beat Heaven. I'm not afraid to die, honestly I look forward to it. If it happens when I'm young then so be it.

I love having conversations with my grandfather, he's full of insight and humor. He had a stroke almost 7 years ago which after that has sent his health in a downward spiral. Up until 7years ago, my grandfather was the healthiest man I know. Never had a single problem, always healthy and in very good shape. Now it just seems like everything has gone wrong with him. He told me one time "Every morning I wake up I say, If I'm not going to be healthy then God please take me. I'm not happy hear anymore." When I hear him say this I'm usually sad because I don't want to think about losing my grandfather but then he always says, "I want to leave because Heaven is so promising. I won't hurt anymore, I won't be sick anymore, no more doctors, no more medication, no more tests. Just happiness, love and God."

I love his outlook. Earth is such a temporary residence because our citizenship is somewhere else. It's in a place where the best is to come. If I was to die today, I think being buried with a fork would be cool, think of the symbolism. Our best life and days are yet to come.

"I want to fly
into the sky
turn my back on this old world
and leave it all behind
this place is not my home
has nothing for me
only leaves me with emptiness
and tears in my eyes"

No comments: