Thursday, May 29, 2008

dealing with disasters...

before anyone may get excited about this....I am not going through a disaster ;)

My pastor at church preached on this a couple weeks ago and today I read through James 1 again.
"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance." - James 1:2-3

In the world today it seems so difficult to praise God in all moments. When something goes our way we thank him for the blessings, but when things don't go our way we run to Him for help. Not a bad thing if you ask me, but when we ask God for his help and direction are we fully open to how things can go? and trust that God will make things turn out for the best?
"but when he asks, he must believe and not doubt, because he who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind." - James 1:6

I find myself guilty of this a lot. I find no problems asking God for his help but sometimes fail to think things will work. It's not that I don't believe God is incapable, but often wants things to go the way I have planned them. I forget that my plans are nothing compared to God's plans. I'm learning that God gives us test to test our faith in Him. I'm learning to roll with things. Letting God's plans work out for the best of my life :)

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Of course I remember you! How could one forget speach class!? lol I appreciate all the prayer I can get and I'm glad that my posts were an inspiration.
I love this post that you wrote because it's exactly the reason why I chose to get back on track with God. As much as a child should never be considered a "disaster" I felt like it was the end of the world when I found out. It was a huge step in deciding whether to give up God or to put my 100% faith in what he had in store and I'm so glad that I chose the better of the two!
I'm thrilled to see that you have chosen to attend Olivet. A lot of friends from high school went there! I wouldn't consider BSU to be a bad school but it was a lot harder to scope out the "good".
I have not read the devotionals you had refered to but I will def. keep them in mind when I'm finished with the two that I'm in now! Have you ever done a Beth Moore bible study? Just wondering! I find her spunk and attitude uplifting! :)
Well I hope all is well! Thanks for the comment! Talk to you later!